The train’s history stretches to 1908 when Post co-owners Harry Tammen and Frederick Bonfils invited 100 friends to ride to the “Daddy of ‘em All” rodeo in Cheyenne. That train, open only to men and by invitation, attracted Denver civic and business leaders year after year until 1970, when rising costs and a lack of passenger equipment led to its demise.
Twenty-two years later, The Post Train was returned in 1992 to help celebrate the 100th anniversary of the paper. Now open to the public, the train has carried more than 15,000 riders since its return.
Using the Union Pacific Railroad’s vintage passenger equipment and impressive engines, the train is expected to continue the summertime tradition well into the future.